Since its establishment (and already since 1999 as the Mediterranean Technical Committee of GWP) the partnership has been instrumental in developing the Vision for Water in the Mediterranean and the Framework for Action for Water in the Mediterranean (2000) in preparation for the 2nd World Water Forum (The Hague 2000).
Since 2001, GWP-Med has facilitated regional and sub-regional dialogues and has been implementing demonstration actions on national IWRM planning, river basin /transboundary water management, effective water governance, water and climate change, joint IWRM/ICZM planning, water demand management, private sector participation, water/food/environment interaction, integrated groundwater management, education and capacity building and networking of targeted groups including decision makers, parliamentarians and the media.
Through collaboration with its partners, GWP-Med activities extend to water, food and environmental interaction; integrated groundwater management; and education, through the Mediterranean Education Initiative for Environment and Sustainability (MEDIES – www.medies.net). In addition, GWP-Med is promoting the set up of Country Water Partnerships in the Mediterranean in order to facilitate the intra-country dialogue on water and ensure the involvement of all related stakeholders.
Among the processes, initiatives and programmes it facilitates, GWP-Med acts as the:
- Secretariat of the Mediterranean Component of the EU Water Initiative (MED EUWI, 2003 -ongoing), led by Greece and partner countries and supported also by the EC. MED EUWI Secretariat provided technical and administrative support to the Drafting Committee that elaborated the Strategy for Water in the Mediterranean, under the framework of the Union for the Mediterranean.
- Member of the implementing consortium and Technical Director of the EC Regional Programme Sustainable Water Integrated Management – Support Mechanism (SWIM-SM, 2010-2014)
- Leader of the IWRM Component of the GEF Strategic Partnership for the Mediterranean Large Marine Ecosystems (2009-2014) with emphasis on catalytic actions for IWRM planning in Mediterranean Countries
- Executing Partner of the GEF Full-Size Project on Integration of Climatic Variability and change into national strategies to implement the ICZM Protocol in the Mediterranean (2010-2014)
- Technical facilitator of the joint Petersberg Phase II / Athens Declaration Process (2005-ongoing) on promoting transboundary water resources management in south-eastern Europe, led by Germany, Greece and the World Bank and assisted by UN agencies
- Secretariat of the formal Drin Core Group for the management of the extended Drin River Basin
- Facilitator, along with MIO-ECSDE of two regional Circles, COMPSUD (Circle of Mediterranean Parliamentarians for Sustainable Development) and COMJESD (Circle of Mediterranean Journalists for the Environment and Sustainable Development)
- Technical facilitator of the Rabat Declaration Process on National IWRM Planning in North Africa (2006 – ongoing), in cooperation with the African Development Bank, African Water Facility and UNEP Collaborating Centre on Water and Environment