- A non-profit global action network, advocating, facilitating and supporting change processes for the sustainable management of water resources
- A mechanism for coordinated action, adding value to the work of many other development partners
- A neutral platform for multi-stakeholder dialogue at different scales
- A resource contributing technical knowledge and building capacity for improving water management.
- Over 3,000 Partner organisations - government agencies, public institutions, private companies, professional organisations, multilateral development agencies and others concerned with water issues - in 174 countries.
- Partners commit to the Dublin-Rio Principles
Country Water Partnerships: GWP has 85 Country Water Partnerships which provide a neutral and multi-stakeholder platform for dialogue and facilitating change processes. They manage and govern themselves, and bring about solutions that are tailored to local conditions and informed by local experiences.
Regional Water Partnerships: The Network comprises 13 Regional Water Partnership - the Caribbean, Central Africa, Central America, Central and Eastern Europe, Central Asia and Caucasus, China, Eastern Africa, Mediterranean, South America, South Asia, Southeast Asia, Southern Africa and West Africa.
The GWP Organisation:
- An intergovernmental organisation hosted by the Government of Sweden.
- Managed by the Executive Secretary reporting to the Steering Committee
- Accountable to the Steering Committee that directs policy and approves the work programme and budget
- Overseen by the Sponsoring Partners, the ultimate decision-making body that appoints the Steering Committee
- Chair of Steering Committee: Interim Chair Alice Bouman-Dentener
The Global Secretariat:
- The executive body
- Located in Stockholm, Sweden
- Employs about 25 staff
- Helps the Partnership exchange knowledge and resources, and ensures communication and coherence across the network
- Executive Secretary: Rudolph Cleveringa
The GWP Technical Committee:
- Technical experts
- Guides policy makers drawing on cutting-edge knowledge of world experts
- Provides high-quality, peer-reviewed and evidence-based information and background material
- Provides advice and support and facilitates knowledge-sharing
- Chair of Technical Committee: Dr. Jerome Delli Priscoli
Funding Sources: Austria, Denmark, the European Commission, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom.
Eva Blässar, Writer & Media Officer
Tel. +46 (0)8 1213 8635
Global Water Partnership Secretariat
Postal address: PO Box 24177, SE-104 51 Stockholm, Sweden
Visitor’s address: Linnégatan 87D
Phone: +46 8 1213 86 00
Fax: +46 8 1213 86 04