The 5th High Level Session of Ministers with responsibility for water was co-convened by GWP-Caribbean and the Caribbean Water and Wastewater Association's (CWWA's) in St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands on 5-6 October 2009.
The meeting came to a successful conclusion with considerable support by all participants.
The High Level Forum recommended that:
- The High Level Session be endorsed as a Caribbean Community and Common Market (CARICOM) Forum.
- A Joint Session of The Council for Trade and Economic Development (COTED)
- The Council for Human and Social Development(COHSOD) will be convened in 2010 with Water on the agenda
- That the CARICOM Consortium be designated a technical advisory body on water to COTED/COHSOD
- A Regional Action Plan for water be urgently developed within the context of a Common Water Framework
- The Regional Action Plan adopts IWRM and includes strategies for resource mobilisation, capacity building, data collection and management in collaboration with Ministries of Finance and Planning Water be represented at the quasi-Cabinet level of CARICOM as a substantive portfolio.
The High Level Session also included a number of presentations on IWRM Planning and Policies in the Caribbean: Status, Experience and Challenges.
GWP Chair Dr Letitia A Obeng gave a key note speech on the High Level Session.