The Regional Secretariat of GWP Eastern Africa assisted with technical and financial support to a meeting in Mogadishu to launch a Somalia Country Water Partnership on 29th January 2014. As a result of the meeting, Somalia is soon set to join GWP by establishing a Country Water Partnership.
The meeting in Mogadishu was attended by about 40 stakeholders from government agencies, professional associations of a hydrogeology and water engineering background. Other participants were from the private sector, water provider associations, and NGOs, women and youth associations. The meeting was chaired by Mr. Abdi Jama Gedhi, who is one of the driving forces behind GWP Somalia.
The participants discussed Somalia water challenges, opportunities, and future development issues. Some of the identified water related issues in Somalia are:
- Weak water institutional set up;
- Inadequate human and institutional capacity in the water sector;
- Lack of water policy and regulatory framework;
- Negative effects of climate change on water;
- Advancing drought in the Horn of Africa;
- Inadequate water and climate financing mechanism;
- Uncoordinated interventions and efforts in the water sector;
- Water related conflicts;
- Poor water infrastructure
An overview of water the sector challenges was presented by Mr. Abdi Jama Gedhi, followed by Mr. Abdiwaxid Ibrahim Ahmed, Head of the Planning Department at the Ministry of Water. GWP Eastern Africa presented the GWP network and outlined the benefits of becoming a part of it. A temporary Steering Committee was put together and elected a leadership for the new GWP Somalia. Mr. Abdi Jama Ghedi was elected the new Chair.
In conclusion of the meeting, the following steps were agreed upon as a way forward to formally become part of the GWP network:
- Finalization of the legal and institutional frameworks
- Organization of a General Assembly meeting to validate the Constitution and follow up the process of legal registration in Somalia;
- Submission of the official request for joining GWP Eastern Africa and following the requirement for GWP Somalia’s accreditation.
Photo: GWP Eastern Africa presented the GWP network at the meeting in Mogadishu.