On 13 June 2011, GWP organises together with AMCOW and the Water and Climate Coalition a side event on "Water, Climate and Development: Towards COP 17", to discuss the way forward to work with Parties in operationalising the references to water resources in the Convention and the Cancun Agreement. Perspectives to be explored will include opportunities to work with Parties in ‘on the ground concrete adaptation activities’ through participation in the Water, Climate and Development programme at regional, national and local level.
To meet the commitments related to water resources in the Convention and the Cancun Agreements, concrete actions by the Parties are urgently required. The projected impacts of water related hazards due to climate change include: sea level rise; melting of snow and ice; changes in the frequency and/or intensity of extreme weather events such as floods and droughts; and changes to ecosystems and biodiversity patterns.
Speakers and Panelists include:
• Cristóbal Punina Lozano, Vice-Minister of Water, Ecuador
• Dr. Ania Grobicki, Executive Secretary, Global Water Partnership
• Mr. Bai Mass Taal, Executive Secretary, African Ministers Council on Water (AMCOW) and former Minister of Water, Gambia
• Rob Bradley, Directorate of Energy & Climate Change, United Arab Emirates
• Karin Lexén, Director, Water and Climate Coalition
• Other government officials to be confirmed
More about the Side Event.
GWP will also organise a Press Briefing on Monday 13 June 2011 at 12.30 hrs on “Implementing Commitments on Water Resources in the Convention and Cancun Agreement”. Read the GWP Media Advisory: "Water Resources Management: The Concrete Adaptation Activity"
GWP messages towards COP17 (Briefing Note).