GWP delegates are taking part in the UN Climate Change Conference COP22, 7-18 November in Marrakech, Morocco. The objective is to promote support for the implementation of the Paris Agreement, in connection to water and climate change adaptation. The Paris Agreement entered into force on 4 November 2016.
On 5 October 2016, the threshold for entry into force of the Paris Agreement was achieved. With the confirmation of entry into force – just in time for COP22 – GWP urges parties to the Conference of the Parties (COP) under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) to step up actions on the implementation of the Paris Agreement on climate change, through:
- Develop implementation roadmaps & investment plans for Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs), linking to National Adaptation Plans (NAPs).
- Support project preparation and development of funding proposals to implement NAP roadmaps and NDC investment plans.
- Develop institution capacity for implementing water-related adaptation actions.
- Promote coherence and coordination in implementing water-related actions under the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Ensure to involve youth in formulating and implementing adaptation action
GWP will support the above through the global Water, Climate and Development Programme (WACDEP) – focusing on continued support on NAPs formulation and implementation, support to the adaptation components of the NDCs, south-south cooperation and knowledge exchange.
GWP Activities at COP22
GWP delegates are involved in a number of activities over the 2-week-long conference, together with Government partners, youth representatives from the network, and with partner organisations.
A detailed list of activities with GWP involvement at COP22 is available here.