The MoU was signed by Dr. Ania Grobicki, GWP Executive Secretary, and Tom Vereijken, EWP Chair, on August 16, 2009, in the presence of representatives from both organizations. The Chair of GWP-Mediterranean, Professor Michaelis Scoullos, and the Chair of GWP-Central and Eastern Europe, Professor Liviu Popescu, were also party to the agreement and will take forward the collaboration with their regions.
In the MoU, both organisations acknowledged their “common interest in improving water resources management for sustainable development” and stated their willingness to collaborate on:
- organization of and participation in meetings, conferences, symposia, workshops, courses, and exhibitions on fields of interest to both signatories
- identification, development and implementation of joint research and projects, including the exchange of their results
- facilitation of implementation of EU water policies and legislation. by bringing key stakeholders together for dialogues and other activities at all levels from regional to national and local levels in order to create public awareness and shared ownership
- contributing to the vision mapping process for Europe by sharing experience, information and documentation as well as by actively participating in working meetings on the vision mapping and participating in the European Policy Summit
- sharing experience in awareness-raising, capacity building, knowledge exchange and water governance
- sharing experience on addressing climate change issues and contributing to the European Dialogue on Climate Change Adaptation and Water.