The overall goal of the SDG-PF is to support countries in their commitment to the post-2015 Development Agenda through practical support for a rapid start to implementing SDG 6 and other water-related SDGs. The specific objectives are:
- To embed SDG 6 (and interlinked SDGs) into existing national policy and planning frameworks
- To support countries to access finance for implementation of the SDGs
- To support the establishment and strengthening of a national monitoring system for SDG 6 (and interlinked SDGs)
- To develop the capacity of national institutions to put in place the skills to plan and implement actions for SDG achievement
- To facilitate the strengthening of partnerships at national and transboundary level to enable a multi-stakeholder approach to SDG planning and monitoring
The SDG-PF is rolled out through the implementation of individual 3-year projects taking place in up to 25 countries, starting in 2016. The initiative builds on country-level consultations carried out in 2013 and 2014 which addressed water security and development issues. The programme will be implemented by GWP – with its regional and country presence – and many other allies such as UNDP-CapNet.