The series aims to make basic legal concepts of international water law accessible to a wide audience by presenting and discussing the actual implementation and practice of these principles in different contexts and locations. Every session will be conducted in an interactive, responsive, and engaging fashion as we strongly believe in the importance of building a diverse community of practice.
The session series is part of the Governance for Transboundary Freshwater Security Massive Open Online Course (MOOC). Participants are encouraged to sign up to the MOOC in advance of the webinar series. All sessions are open for anybody to join, but Module 3 (on International Water Law) is suggested as a good preparation.
The full list of planned sessions:
- Session 1: Transboundary Water Agreements (19 January 2021): What is a transboundary water agreement and why is it important? Are there examples of best practice that can help where no agreements exist?
- Session 2: International Water Law (IWL) & Protection of Ecosystems (16 February 2021): Would a stronger focus on protecting ecosystems of international watercourses help avoid potential conflicts or address existing disputes?
- Session 3: River Basin Organisations and the Implementation of Treaty Commitments (16 March 2021): River Basin Organisations (RBOs) can play an important role in advancing transboundary water cooperation, including supporting countries in the implementation of their treaty commitments. This session will explore the different ways in which RBOs support countries with this.
- Session 4: IWL & Climate Change (20 April 2021): What strategies are there to help countries adapt to/tackle climate change within a transboundary contact? What are the legal challenges and how can national, regional and global legal requirements be addressed?
- Session 5: IWL & Infrastructure Projects (18 May 2021): What are the legal rules and procedures for building major infrastructure? How does international water law, human rights and international investment law combine to deal with these issues?
- Session 6: IWL & Groundwater (15 June 2021): How is transboundary groundwater governed – what are the legal rules that apply and how to implement these in practice? Focus on existing best practice and key challenges.