12-16 March 2012 Marseilles, France.
The 6th World Water Forum. On 15th March there was conducted special Session “Input of Central Asia to the World Water Progress”, which was supported by GWP CACENA as co-organizer.
The general goal of this session was to present to the worldwide water society the agreed solutions within thematic priorities for the Central Asian sub-region, which has specific and diverse natural, social and economic environments related to water resources.
Session was leaded by Saghit Ibatullin, Chairman of EC IFAS, and high level panel was represented by Mr. Islam Abishev – Chair of the State Committee of water resources of Kazakhstan, Mr. Hasan Khasanov, Deputy Minister of water resources of Tajikistan, Mr. Shavkat Khamraev, Deputy Minister of Agriculture and water resources of Uzbekistan, Central Asian NGO Ecoforum was represented by Ekaterina Strekelova from CAREC.
During session target coordinators from Central Asian countries presented solutions for seven priorities for Central Asia:
- Guaranteeing water for future generations
- Risk management and water security
- International cooperation in the region – on the basis of International Conventions
- Adoption of innovations in agriculture through agrarian reforms in order to achieve food security
- Integrated water resources management – a tool for balancing multiple uses of water
- Climate change and conserving environmental capacity
- Sustainable water supply and sanitation
Delegates from GWP CACENA, which were represented by partners from Armenia, Georgia, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan took active participation in INBO initiative towards lunching of the “World Pact for Better Basin Management” and also in synthesis session of the Asia-Pacific Water Forum.