The Programme was initiated by the Global Water Partnership Mediterranean (GWP-Med), in partnership with the Ministry for Gozo (MGOZ), the Eco-Gozo Project and the Coca-Cola System in Malta (Coca-Cola Malta and General Soft Drinks Co. Ltd). Activities are implemented in collaboration with Nature Trust Malta (NTM) and the Mediterranean Information Office for Environment Culture and Sustainable Development (MIO-ECSDE).
The first activities commenced in November 2011 in Gozo primarily funded by The Coca-Cola Foundation through a two-year grant (Phase I, 2011-2013) and co-funded by the Ministry for Gozo. The Programme expanded to the Island of Malta in January 2014, with a new partner, the Ministry for Energy and Health ( now The Energy and Water Agency). The latest phase of the Programme (Phase II, 2014-17) is funded through a new grant by The Coca-Cola Foundation.
Aim and Objectives
Launch the application of NCWR solutions, as a sustainable approach to address water scarcity in the Maltese islands, due to resources depletion, rising demand, and climate change impact.
- To promote NCWRs, and especially RWH and greywater reuse, as cost-effective methods for water availability and climate change adaptation in the water-scarce Island of Gozo
- To support the Ministry for Gozo in the water sector Sustainable Development Goals, aligned with its SD Action Plan in view of their vision for the Island of Gozo to become an eco-island by 2020 (Eco-Gozo project).
- To contribute to the development of the National Water Management Plan for the Maltese Islands
- To enhance the capacity of the local authorities to manage NCWR
- To train local technicians on the application of modern NCWR systems and materials, and build their capacity to install and/repair such systems on the islands and share their expertise at the local level
- To promote knowledge and sharing of experiences on aspects of rainwater harvesting systems and approaches.
- To promote multi-stakeholder partnerships for local NCWR initiatives.
Find out more about the Programme activities here.