Advocacy efforts to explain the pivotal role of water has given results and has moved water higher up on the climate change agenda ever since GWP first participated at COP15 in Copenhagen. However, the role of water must still be reinforced to the negotiators.
The GWP delegation will organise a press briefing on "GWP Water and Climate Programmes" and the GWP Executive Secretary, Dr. Ania Grobicki, will deliver a speech at the High Level Segment on the last day.
GWP’s key messages at COP18:
- Populations already exposed to water-related hazards are significant and likely to increase.
- Current water knowledge must be used to inform adaptation implementation now.
- An enabling environment for improved water management should be provided from the financial structures, institutional arrangements and policy processes within the Conferences of the UNFCCC.
- Water should be termed a thematic work area under the Nairobi Work Programme, and a Water HelpDesk facility should be established.
- A water window should be created under the Green Climate Fund, in order to fund the work on water within the Nairobi Work Programme.