The process includes a call for abstracts leading to detailed proposals whose authors will present their IWRM implementation experience at the regional forum on good IWRM implementation practices in the region, to be held from November 28 to 30, 2023 in Ouagadougou.
The main objective of the process is to advance the implementation of IWRM for water security through the promotion of innovative and successful good practices in implementing the approach in the WAEMU Space.
Specifically, this will involve:
- dentifying and documenting innovative and successful good practices in implementing IWRM in the WAEMU region;
- Widely disseminating documented innovative and successful IWRM implementation best practices from the WAEMU region at national, regional and global events;
- Supporting the consolidation and scaling-up of innovative and successful IWRM implementation best practices in the WAEMU Space.
For the call for submissions, actors eligible to submit abstracts of good practice proposals for IWRM implementation in the WAEMU Space are:
- National institutions in charge of and/or involved in IWRM planning and implementation processes and Water Agencies in the countries;
- Local authorities;
- Transboundary Basin Organizations (TBOs);
- National and international non-state institutions, including NGOs and the private sector.
A scientific and technical committee made up of IWRM experts, academics and international civil servants involved in IWRM, will examine the abstracts submitted and select the best practice proposals to be documented and presented by their bearer at the Ouagadougou Forum.
At the end of the abstract evaluation process, at least 30 authors, promoters and bearers of good practices will be selected and supported to take part in the regional Forum and present their good practice.
At the end of the Forum, the finalized versions of the documented good practices will be consolidated in the form of a handbook/vade mecum, which will be published and made available online.
For each of the local, national and transboundary scales, one of the authors of the good practice receiving the highest score at the end of the overall evaluation process will be supported by the partners to attend the 10th World Water Forum in Bali, Indonesia, as well as the manual launch ceremony.
All submissions are made on GWP's IWRM Action Hub platform.