Launched in September 2016 for the duration of four years, the EUWI+ project is the biggest commitment of the EU to the water sector in the Eastern Partnership countries. It supports the six countries (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine) to align their legislation with EU policy on water management, with a focus on transboundary rivers.
The overall objective of the project is to improve the management of water resources in the Eastern Partnership countries. Communication and stakeholders’ involvement is important part of the RBM planning process.
The purpose of the project is to organise public consultations for the development of Sevan and Hrazdan River Basin Management Plans at different stages, particularly on the main issues and the draft RBMP. Representatives of civil society and stakeholders were called to contribute their views through a range of public consultation activities. The people of the Hrazdan and Sevan River Basins were given an opportunity to provide their opinion on the Hrazdan and Sevan RBMP development as regards the main issues.
The first consultation fora was held from 12 March to 12 April 2019 and gathered more than 50 local stakeholders, including governmental authorities, basin organisations, residential and business water users, the scientific community, NGOs, journalists and experts. The objective was to seek their views on the main challenges to guarantee the water quality, to share the water resource, to secure the drinking water, to reduce pollutions and to preserve people’s health.
Reports on RBMP public consultations 2019 were published in May 2019.
This year, due to the COVID-19 situation, a new format of the second public consultation was used. Since it was impossible to organise face-to-face discussions, it was decided to organise a consultation campaign using online and distance tools.
The Stakeholders consultations on Sevan River Basin Management Plan (RBMP) programme of measures were held in the Gegharkunik Region in Armenia from June 11 to July 17, 2020.
The following actions have been initiated and conducted:
- Developed and submitted action plan with details related to organisation of public consultation for second stage;
- Development of brief version of Sevan RBMP 2nd thematically summary, provided by a Technical Consultant;
- Development of questionnaire for public consultation;
- Web questionnaire have been developed and disseminated via Sevan regional authorities and other active networks;
- Preparation of an Armenian version of an infographic film, demonstrated the main stages of river basin management plan and program of measures, also important points related to RBMP;
- Translation to Armenian the cartoon, demonstrated importance RBMP;
- Broadcasting the cartoon and infographic films on local TV (Gavar TV);
- Organisation of a ZOOM meeting/discussion with one of the main group of stakeholders (teachers of Sevan basin communities);
- Meeting with the Regional Autorites of Gegharkunik marzpetaran.