Azerbaijan Consultation Workshop on Monitoring and Reporting of SDG Indicator 6.5.1

In 2020, Global Water Partnership (GWP) in collaboration with The United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) together with UNEP-DHI Centre and Cap-Net, operates the SDG 6 IWRM Support Program, to support 60 countries in implementing the survey.

n November 3rd, 2023, a stakeholder consultation workshop was held in Baku, Azerbaijan. The workshop was organized by CWP-Azerbaijan in coordination with the Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources of Azerbaijan, following the recommendations of the SDG 6 IWRM support program.

 A total of 31 participants from various organizations attended the workshop, including the Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources of the Republic of Azerbaijan, other government agencies, NGOs, regional projects, and CWP-Azerbaijan. The gender representation was balanced with 45% female participants and 55% male participants. The majority of participants were between the ages of 18 and 35, accounting for 56% of the total number of participants. The remaining 44% were divided between the age groups of 36-65 and 66 years and older.

 The preliminary report on Indicator 6.5.1 was shared widely among the participants, who examined its content critically. 

 During the meeting, the following sessions were conducted:

  • The National Water Partnership of Azerbaijan was introduced, and information was provided about it.
  • Details regarding Azerbaijan's 2022 national report on SDG 6 "Clean Water and Sanitation" were discussed, along with the forthcoming 2023 report.
  • Priority directions for ensuring water security in Azerbaijan were discussed.
  • Principles for the sustainable utilization of water resources and their integrated management were discussed.
  • Questions pertaining to parts I and II of the report: "Enabled Environment" and "Institutions and Participation" were addressed.
  • Questions pertaining to parts III and IV of the report: "Management tools" and "Financing" were addressed.
  • Goals within the UN-Water and Health Protocol were reviewed.

Focal Point's presentation followed months of preparation and consultation with public and private organizations. An online feedback survey was sent to meeting participants via email after the consultation.

In the stakeholder consultation workshop assessment, participants were asked various questions related to the event. 50% of participants affirmed that the consultation process fully achieved its objectives, while 44% were satisfied, and 6% found it partially successful. During the consultation process, 39% of the participants felt that they were able to express their opinions very effectively, while 44% expressed satisfaction. 11% of the participants felt only partially able to express their views, and 6% indicated not being able to express their opinions at all. Overall, these results indicate that the consultation process was well received among the participants, with a significant majority acknowledging the effective meeting of objectives and commendable organizational effectiveness. The feedback on the expression of opinions also suggests that participants had a largely positive experience.

 More details: Azerbaijan Stakeholder Consultation Report SDG 6.5.1, degree of implementation of IWRM