The meeting included two sessions: A technical segment and the general assembly. The technical segment comprised:
- Presentations on the Water, Energy and Food nexus as an approach that can be used to improve livelihoods. Presentations were made to share experiences from the SADC, CICOS, OMVS and Nile Basins on how they have tried to address the nexus as an approach.
- A presentation on the AMCOW Water Resources Management Priority Action Plan (AMCOW PAP) that highlighted the Work Programmes of the PAP and also the activities that ANBO can implement as part of this document.
- A presentation on the Climate Change Conference of Parties (COP17) which will be held in Marrakesh, Morocco during the month of November 2016. The presentation highlighted the different events that are taking place within the African continent leading to COP 17.
The General Assembly was characterised by presentation of the status of implementation of recommendations of 5th ANBO General Assembly and the report of the chair for period 2015 – 2016 and the network accounts; the Chairperson’s report; network accounting; and election of new office bearers, who are as follows:
- Presidency: International Commission of the Congo-Oubangui-Sangha River Basin (CICOS)
- Vice President: Nile Basin Initiative; and
- Elections into the coordination bureau
The GWP Network was represented at the ANBO GA meetings in Kigali by GWP Southern Africa: Michael Ramaano; GWP Central Africa: Hycinth Banseka and GWP Eastern Africa: Camille Karangwa. At the end of the meeting, GWP resolved that going forward there is a need to: work with OMVS permanent secretariat team to establish a formal MoU with ANBO on fundraising for project preparation as most RBOs and ANBO face challenges of funding as member countries do not pay their dues; and Lobby to present the WACDEP at the COP Water and Climate Day (9th November).