- To promote the principles, values and policies of the Global Water Partnership (GWP) network.
- To establish proactive alliances in water resources management that are representative, gender sensitive and participatory at the community, country and regional levels.
- To promote public participation in the management of water resources through capacity building and information sharing at the regional, national and particularly the community level.
- To promote Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) as the preferred approach to water resources management in the region and to obtain national commitments towards IWRM implementation.
- To align the South Asian region with hemispheric and other global water initiatives in order to capitalise on international experiences and opportunities for regional capacity building in IWRM.
- To improve water governance through the promotion, enhancement and effective implementation of legislation, policy, programmes and institutional regulatory and administrative frameworks.
- To strengthen mechanisms for sharing information and experience.