The focus of this online workshop was to provide opportunities for Pan Asia countries to exchange lessons learned both in terms of survey process and substance in Integrated Water Resource Management, which had been carried out in 2020 and also to discussed the way forward towards the achievement of SDG indicator 6.5.1 Integrated Water Resource Management.
The event successfully obtained several objectives, in particular:
- Highlighted good practices and challenges in completing the 6.5.1 questionnaire in the round 2020 survey.
- Identified any possible adjustments that need to be incorporated in the next round of the survey.
- Identified common challenges and opportunities to advance on IWRM that had been identified through the survey, and establish collaboration at the PAN-Asia level to move forward together.
List of Speakers:
Welcome and opening remarks: Dr. Joakim Harlin, Head of Freshwater Ecosystem Unit, UN Environment Programme
Key-note speaker: Dr. Inthavy Akkharath – Chair of ASEAN Water Resources Management Working Group/ Chair of GWP Southeast Asia
Country presentation on key aspects of the survey/consultation process, challenges met, best practices, and lessons learned in reporting on SDG 6.5.1:
1. BANGLADESH. Mr. Malik Fida A Khan, Executive Director
The Center for Environmental and Geographic Information Services (CEGIS)
2. UZBEKISTAN. Dr. Vadim Sokolov, Head of Agency of IFAS
(Agency of International Fund for Saving the Aral Sea for implementation of the Aral Sea Basin and GEF projects)
3. MALAYSIA. Ir. Bibi Zarina binti Che Omar (Mrs), Director
Division of Water Resources Management and Hydrology
Ministry of Water, Land and Natural Resources
4. CHINA. Ms. Shi Qiuchi, Director
International Economic & Technical Cooperation and Exchange Center, Ministry of Water Resources
Panellists session 1:
- Mr. Colin Herron (Global Coordinator Water Solutions for the SDGs, GWP)
- Mr. Thomas Panella (Chief of Water Sector Group, Asian Development Bank)
Panellists session 2: (Regional cooperation bodies and investment bank)
- Prof. Victor Dukhovny (Director, Scientific Information Centre Water Commission/ SIC ICWC)
- Mr. Ravi Narayanan (Chair of Governing Council, Asia-Pacific Water Forum)
The workshop was held on December 10th 2020, 08.00 – 11.30 (CET/ GMT+1)/ Stockholm time or 14.00 – 17.30 (GMT+7)/ Jakarta Time
If you are interested in understanding and building on the 6.5.1 reporting process (e.g., by organizing internal discussions on how to advance the various elements of IWRM, developing national IWRM action plan, or other ways), please click our link on https://www.gwp.org/en/sdg6support/