Global Water Partnership China Yellow River (GWP China Yellow River) is an international social organization that aims to promote centralized management of Yellow River’s water resources, so as to cope with flood threats of Yellow River, coordinate water supply and demand relations, prevent water pollution, and achieve sustainable development of society and economy in Yellow River basin and related areas.
Yellow River Conservancy Commission of Ministry of Water Resources, No. 11 Jinshui Road, Zhengzhou City, Henan Province
Time of Establishment: GWP China Yellow River was founded on October 18, 2005.
GWP China Yellow River is a river basin level partnership of GWP China. GWP Yellow River, founded on October 18, 2005, is the first and only one river basin partnership of GWP worldwide, with its Secretariat in International Cooperation and Science & Technology Department of Yellow River Conservancy Commission of Ministry of Water Resources. Two Partner Conventions were held in 2007 and 2014 respectively, and the first and second Board of Directors were elected in the two conventions.
Founder: Yellow River Conservancy Commission of Ministry of Water Resources
Partner representatives elect the Board of GWP China Yellow River Council. The Council is the policy-making body that instructs work of the Secretariat and cooperation with Network partners. The Secretariat under it is the administration and execution body, in charge of daily work.
(1) To implement national guiding principles and policies relating to regulation, development and protection of Yellow River and Water Law of People’s Republic of China;
(2) To join hands with Water Partners and other entities, groups, experts, related personnel, and water users who are willing to contribute to sustainable utilization of water resources, and conduct all kinds of seminars revolving around Water Partners to promote flood control and disaster reduction in the basin area, holistic management of water resources and build a water conservation society;
(3) To attract involvement from water related entities/departments, conduct research on flood control and disaster reduction within the basin area and development, utilization and management of water resources, and promote water environment protection and water safety;
(4) To conduct international people-to-people academic exchanges, and advertise on successful experiences of development, utilization and management of water resources of Yellow River;
(5) To give full play to the advantages of Water Partners, and serve for governments of all levels, related entities/departments and the public.
Role and Influence:
For a long time, the organization has been uniting with all Partners, holding the principle of people-oriented, and trying to achieve the target of harmony between people and nature and maintaining healthy life of Yellow River. Through wide public involvement, consultation on an equal footing, and academic exchanges, GWP Yellow River attempts to enhance the society’s consciousness of water, promote management and protection of water resources in Yellow River basin area, and facilitate reasonable development, effective utilization and scientific management of water resources in Yellow River basin. It is serving for governments of all levels, water related departments and water users, and contributing to Yellow River development and protection, and socially and economically sustainable development in the basin area. It is actively conducting research and academic exchanges relating to Yellow River regulation and development. It has held more than a dozen of seminars such as “Round Table Meeting on Flood Control Situation in the Downstream and Adaptive Countermeasures in Floodplain Areas of Yellow River”, “On-site Dialogue and Seminar on Water Rights Transfer in Yellow River Basin”, “High Level Forum on Water Resources Allocation and Regulation Engineering in Yellow River Basin”, and “Seminar on Effective Utilization and Ecological Compensation of Water Resources in Loess Plateau”. It has disseminated knowledge on water conservation, promoted the transfer from scientific research results to actual productivity, and made remarkable achievements in academic exchanges, knowledge advertising, technical survey, talent fostering, etc. A good academic environment has been created in Yellow River basin and inland rivers areas in Northwest China. It has made great contribution to the progress and development of water conservation science and technologies and achieving the targets of healthy life of Yellow River, and created wide positive influences across the society.
Author: Mr. Huihua XI, Secretary of GWP China Yellow River