The Marine Professional Committee aims to implement the important instructions of General Secretary Xi Jinping about “the Ocean is a Strategic Place for High-Quality Development” , focus on global water strategy, the ocean linkages to global water science and water security, strengthen communication with water conservancy, environmental protection, energy and other water-related departments, build a neutral dialogue and exchange platform at different levels.
Time of Establishment：
The Marine Professional Committee was founded on March 31, 2023.
After signing a MoU between GWP China and Dapeng New Area Authority of Shenzhen Municipal Government on 31 March 2023, the Marine Professional Committee of GWP China is hosted and run by China University of Geosciences (Wuhan) and settled in Dapeng New Area of Shenzhen Municipal.
The Marine Professional Committee has a team of experts composed of more than 60 professors.
- Honorary Director: Mr. Zhuan CAO, the Core Expert of the National Development and Reform Commission, Former Vice Chairman of the Chinese Bioengineering Society, Tsinghua University.
- Director:Mr. Jun SUN, Distinguished Professors of “Changjiang Scholar” of the Ministry of Education, Dean of the School of Oceanology, China University of Geosciences(Wuhan).
- Secretary General: Mr. Xun GONG, Chief Scientist of the National Key Research and Development Plan, Vice Dean of the School of Oceanology, China University of Geosciences(Wuhan).
1. Research including but not limited to the following areas:
(1) Early warning and protection mechanism for river and coastal environments.
(2) The infringement of land water resources by seawater inpouring in large coastal cities in China.
(3) The impact of Japanese unclear wastewater discharge on water environmental in China.
(4) The effect of harmful algae outbreak on water environmental of China.
(5) Global Marine ecology and water cycle.
(6) Under the background of global warming, the climate response and extreme disasters of China’s major river basins.
2. Organize special meetings, high-end forums and other exchange activities, carry out multi-level, wide-ranging and sustainable maritime cooperation.
3. Pragmatically and continuously promote cooperation with Shenzhen Municipal Government, especially the Dapeng New Area Government, promote Shenzhen to build a “Global Oceanic Hub City”.
4. Actively promote and participate in the activities of GWP China, to develop cooperation with the branches and member units of the GWP China.
Role and Influence:
The Marine Professional Committee relies on the marine resource endowment and location advantage of Dapeng Peninsula, in terms of advantageous production capacity gathering, marine-related talent training, multi-integrated construction of production, education and research, it will help Dapeng New Area build a strategic platform for the South China Sea, build a globally influential highland of marine technology and industrial innovation, and build into a Global Oceanic Hub City carrying area, contribute to the high-quality development of Shenzhen, Guangdong-Hongkong-Marcao Greater Bay Area and even the national marine economy.