At the opening ceremony, the representative of ECCAS highlighted that the Taskforce is the key decision making structure for the development of the regional hydrometeorological strategy. While, the GWP-CAf chair in his turn invited experts to be both strategic and proactive in improving the state of national hydrometeorological services by providing politicians with reliable information.
During two days of reflection, participants followed presentations on the ECCAS Water Information System, the GWP network and the Water, Climate and Development Program (WACDEP), the national hydrometeorological strategy elaboration process, the UNESCO project on “revising hydrological norms”, the ECCAS regional strategy on management and prevention of risks, and the regional synthesis report on the state of hydrometeorological services in Central Africa.
The regional synthesis report was approved in plenary, while the “Roadmap” for the elaboration of the regional hydrometeorological services strategy was discussed and approved through group work and plenary.
- Sharing hydro meteorological data between countries and institutions is very complex and needs to reflect upon with care;
- Involving NMHS of all countries in the “taskforce” may not be possible for logistic reasons, thus representatives of Committees of Directors of National Meteorological Services and National Hydrological Services will be called upon to represent their peers.
- The regional synthesis report of baseline study of National Hydrological and Meteorological Services for six pilot countries in Central Africa was adopted;
- The road map for the development of regional hydro meteorological services strategy in Central Africa was adopted;
Recommendations to ECCAS and GWP-CAf
- Experts strongly recommended that baseline studies be conducted for National Hydrological and Meteorological Services in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea;
- The Niger River Basin Authority, which includes two Central African countries, should be included as a member of the Taskforce;
- “Taskforce” should be formalised by a decision of ECCAS;
- A resource mobilization strategy should be developed and executed by GWP and ECCAS to continue the next steps of the process.